Friday, March 18, 2011

Digging Deeper James 1:19-20

Points to Ponder

James 1:19-20 "Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God."

Points to Ponder:
To be quick to hear and slow to speak. This is the opposite of how we tend to be, certainly how I tend to be. Being quick to speak is typically all about us. Being quick to hear is typically all about the other person. To be slow to speak. Just think on that a few moments. How would your relationships change if you observed that one priority? To be slow to speak. We would think twice about offending words. We would think twice about criticizing. We would think twice about gossip. We would think twice about arguing. We would think twice about what is going to come out of our mouths when we do speak.

Do we listen more than we talk?

For the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. When I really thought about that verse, I realized that my anger is about me, not God. I am not accomplishing what He wants with my anger; I am accomplishing what I want. I am not glorifying God when I am quick to anger.

Lord, thank you for the reminder today of these truths and may I be more interested in applying them in my own life than in others.

Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: