Wednesday, March 02, 2011

With Authority

Every once in a while I'm privileged to sit and listen to a Bible teacher and just be amazed and WOW'ed by their teaching. I'm not impressed by fifty-cent words or intricate details or the illustrations that might be used. What I'm talking about is the one who humbly stands before you, shares the Word, expounds on the Scripture and then makes it applicable to my life or even speaks to my heart on a deep, convicting level. The message isn't complicated to understand, it's simple, yet profound. When they are finished, it sticks in your mind and heart for days. It has an impact on your heart and life. It challenges you and changes you. This person speaks with power and authority over the subject matter.

Unfortunately, this isn't a common occurrence. It does happen once in a while and when it does it is an unforgettable experience.

However, there is One whose message never disappoints... One whose message cuts right to the heart of the matter... it convicts, encourages, comforts and changes lives. The One who never disappoints is Jesus, the greatest Teacher. Jesus always spoke with authority and power. Even those who were against him recognized it.

Mark 1:22
"The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law."

Matthew 7:29
"...because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law."

Matthew 22:22
"When they [the Pharisee's] heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away."

When Jesus spoke or taught, either in the temple or to the crowds, He taught with authority and power. One of Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary's definitions of authority is "an individual cited as an expert." The Greek word for authority is "exousia" meaning, "competency, superhuman, power, right." All who heard Jesus were astounded and amazed at His teaching. Lives were changed and hearts were transformed. Jesus' authority came directly from the Father and with God there is no greater authority.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could just sit at His feet and listen? Lately I have had a deep hunger for the Words of Jesus. I think too often I pay more attention to the epistles and not enough time reading His words...meditating on His teaching. I really need to sit at His feet, open my ears and my heart to what He has for me. The really neat thing about it is, I don't have to go to a conference center, or even leave my home.

All I need to do is take my Bible and open it to any of the passages in red, and listen to Jesus. If my heart is open and ready...I, too, can be WOW'ed by the authority and power of His teaching! But I need to be willing to put aside all the "business" of my schedule and just sit and listen. I would rather be Mary than Martha and choose the better thing...to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen.

So, YES, we can sit at His feet. Go ahead, get your Bible...listen and be transformed.

MaryAnn

MaryAnn and John Kiernan have been married for 37 years, have 2 grown/married sons and are the proud grandparents of three grandsons and one granddaughter! She serves at America's Keswick as a Biblical Counselor and also as Intake Coordinator for the Colony of Mercy. Her life verse is Romans 8:28.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:14-15
14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

No comments: