Tuesday, March 29, 2011

HE'S WAITING FOR YOU!

I was about twelve years old, sitting in junior church, listening to a missionary speak. I do not remember the missionary's name nor the mission field where she served. Through the more than 60 years since, I have only remembered a portion of her story. The missionary told of a train wreck in which she was thrown out of the train with her train seat still attached to her. She related that she received no serious injuries, but the Bible verse that came immediately to her mind was Psalm 139:2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising. I have often found it amusing that I remembered that little snippet from a complete talk.

Recently, I experienced a fall that could have been very serious, even life-threatening, when I fell from a car and found myself flat on my back on the parking lot asphalt. I sustained a huge goose egg on the back of my head and many bruises on my back side. For several days I was immersed in the 'might have beens' and fear. As I tried to write in my prayer journal, I asked the Lord to give me a verse to help rid me of my fear. Of course, I'm sure you know the verse that popped into my mind: Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising!

Just think, even more than sixty years ago, God knew I would need that verse and a good chuckle at this very moment.

I remember hearing Elisabeth Elliott state "God is already in the future." He is waiting for you and He has helped you store up the verses that you will need to remind you that He is already in the future just waiting for you. He has also promised "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee"(Hebrews 13:5, KJV). You may not find yourself sitting in an unexpected place or in a precarious position, but you may certainly find yourself in a situation you did not expect, facing a problem that was not predicted. You can rest assured He will always be there for you..

Marilyn Willett Heavilin

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:22-25 (NIV)
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it-not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it-they will be blessed in what they do.

No comments: