Monday, March 21, 2011

Digging Deeper James 1:21 with commentary

Let me begin with an apology for the delinquency of this Victory Call. No excuses, but It is my fault it was delayed.

I am looking forward to this week's meditation. I believe it will bless our hearts. Meditation is hard isn't it? Yesterday in Church we sang, "prone to wander, Lord, I feel it" I can certainly identify with that statement. Can you? So many things are clamoring for our attention. Sister, when we get to heaven, there will be NO DISTRACTIONS. That will be glory.

"Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls." James 1:21

Commentary:
"Put away all filthiness pictures the stripping off of dirty clothes ... based on desire to have noting to do with the dirt (here, moral evil) ever again. In place of filthy behavior, the implanted word must take root in God's people. This idea of God planting his revealed truth reflects Deut. 30:14 ("the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart") and especially the new covenant of Jer. 31:33 ("I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts") Save your souls refers here to progressive sanctification and ultimately the completion of God's saving work on the last day." [ESV Study Bible Notes page 2392]

No comments: