Monday, March 14, 2011

Digging Deeper James 1:19-20 with Commentary

I was listening to a sermon on-line this past week and was challenged AGAIN by the idea of reading the Scriptures ALOUD. "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ" Romans 10:17. So for the last few days, I have been reading my Bible out loud in my own hearing. What I find interesting is how much effort it takes to do that. I don't mean I break a sweat, but that it is just easier to read silently to myself. Why is it such an effort? I have to force myself to read out loud. As you are meditating your way through James this year, may I be so bold as to challenge you to read out loud the verses, chapters or books that you are reading. I am so ready for change. Are you?

James 1:19-20 "Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God."

Commentary:
Swift to hear, slow to speak. Believers are to respond positively to Scripture, and eagerly pursue every opportunity to know God's Word and will better...But at the same time, they should be cautious about becoming preachers or teachers too quickly...wrath(anger)...This is from the Greek word that describes a deep, internal resentment and rejection, in this context, of God's Word..." [The MacArthur Bible Commentary by John MacArthur, pg. 1884] (parenthesis added)

Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: