Friday, January 06, 2006

Are you willing to break a sweat?

Are you willing to break a sweat?

There I was, walking uphill with my arms swinging, at a good clip, sweating bullets, which I do daily or nearly daily to fight the ever present battle for fitness and health. I was working out on our treadmill when the thought occurred to me, "Are you willing to break a sweat to obey God?" I am willing to break a sweat when I exercise but am I willing to break a sweat to obey my Lord? How silly that even sounds. If I am not willing to break a sweat to obey, am I recognizing Jesus as Lord of my life? Or am I being lord of my own life?
"You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin." Hebrews 12:4. "Bloodshed"? That makes my question about breaking a sweat seem so insignificant. Scripture is saying we need to take our sin seriously. Christ confronted sin to the point of bloodshed in the most excruciating way. He overcame. He had victory. "Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God." 1 Peter 4:1-2.
"Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:26-27.
Obedience takes effort on our part combined with the power of the Holy Spirit. Obedience without faith is outward compliance. Obedience by faith is pleasing to God. "But without faith it is impossible to please Him." Hebrews 11:6.
How serious are we about obedience? Are we willing to break a sweat to obey God? Are you willing to break a sweat to obey God?

Diane

No comments: