Monday, January 02, 2006

Preference or conviction


In 1996, shortly after completing Seminary, my husband and I began to
consider home schooling our two children (then 8 and 11years old). As part
of our preparation for the curriculum we selected, we listened to a cassette
tape about home schooling. I remember very little of that tape except the
distinction the speaker made between preference and conviction. He asked
whether it was our preference to home school or was it our conviction. I
thought it was our conviction until he proceeded with his description of
conviction. He basically said that conviction means we would be willing to
go to jail if our right to home school was ever challenged.
I'm still not sure how I feel about that but the principle he
suggested has far reaching implications in our Christian lives. Is it our
preference to be Christians or are we convicted Christians? Is it our
preference to obey God, or are we convicted in our obedience? How serious
are we really about the Name we bear?
This illustration came to light recently as I was discussing with
someone their desire to do the right thing (I can't even remember what the
issue was). When I raised the question - is it your preference to do the
right thing, which wanes when it gets difficult or is it your conviction to
do the right thing, no matter what?
I can identify with that personally. I would really like to glorify
God in my eating habits and my attitude about food. I mean it. I would
really like to do it; but I have to admit it is more a preference than a
conviction. Am I willing to go to jail in order to glorify God in this area?
To my shame I'm not even willing to skip a meal.
Perhaps your issue isn't food; perhaps it's being kind, or
respectful. Maybe God has been prompting you to forgive someone and be
released from your bitterness. Sure you would like to forgive them, but it
is more a preference than a conviction. How serious are you about doing
what is right?

My challenge for you is to give due consideration about what your
convictions really are and what are just preferences?

Diane

No comments: