Thursday, January 12, 2006

IT'S A DIAMOND

I had read a seminary student's testimony of the impact of repeatedly reading the same book of the Bible had had in her life. So I thought I'd try it. After finishing reading through the Bible this past year, I decided to read 1 Peter in its entirety, every day for a month. It was well into my effort that the richness of Peter's writings started to envelop my heart and mind, so I decided to extend my commitment for another 30 days.
As I shared with others what I was finding through this approach I got some interesting responses. It seems I have been considered quite dense that I didn't "get it" the first time through. Just in case anyone out there is wondering, I am dense.
As I pondered my apparent denseness, a visual picture began to emerge which I think is worth sharing. I see the Word of God as a diamond. At first glance (first read through) it was easy to see and identify it as a diamond. It took several more intense viewings before I began to see that if I tipped the diamond to the left it shone brilliant hues of blues. If I tipped the diamond to the right the hues were shades of purple and yellow. If I turned it upside-down, it looked very different altogether. All of these views of the diamond produced reflections of different facets, yet still all the same diamond. I believe the Word of God is much the same.
The Word of God is living and active. "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 NIV. That means that every time we come to the word, though it is the same, it is different. That is why we can read a book 30 times and on the 31st time, we see something we hadn't noticed before. The Holy Spirit speaks to us through the word. Sometimes one verse over another really speaks to our hearts, the next time something different strikes us.
I am so glad that I didn't "get it" the first time. The Word of God is so rich, so deep, and so alive I want to savor every facet, every morsel. I anticipate eternity to savor the Living Word.

My challenge to you is to pick a short book, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 John, James, 1 or 2 Peter, you pick and read the book in it's entirety for 30 days. See for yourself the richness awaiting you between the covers of your Bible.

Diane

No comments: