Thursday, January 19, 2006

"I tried to stop...but my brains and my bones won't let me!"

"I tried to stop...but my brains and my bones won't let me!"

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience when your obedience is complete." -2 Corinthians 10:5-6

I attended a Beth Moore conference this past fall. As an attendee we were given spiral notebooks to take notes in for the duration of the conference. Included inside was an assortment of shared thoughts from those who minister alongside Beth. Travis Cottrell is one of those people. During the conference we were richly and deeply blessed by his ministry of music.
Travis shared an incident that took place between his precocious 4 year old daughter Lily Kate and his wife Angela. Angela was attempting to get her bundles safely from the church building to their car after a Wednesday night church service. It was dark, the car was a block away, and there was a lot of traffic on the road. Therefore, it was very important that Lily Kate and her older brother Jack stay at Mom's side. Angela had her hands full with baby Levi, and all the stuff one brings to and from church.

In a split second, Lily Kate was off and running, full speed ahead...all by herself. Angela shouted, "Lily Kate, Stop! Wait for me please! Like your average 4 year old, she stopped just long enough to let you know she'd heard, and then she was off and running again. Angela finally caught up with her, at the car, and asked her why she had kept running. Lily Kate's tearful response was, "I tried to stop, mommy. I really did. But my brains and my bones wouldn't let me!"

Okay, now that you've stopped laughing, think about it. Aside from the obvious disobedience, what else can we glean from the words of this precocious 4 year old? Is it possible you can see yourself, off and running, full speed ahead, in spite of the fact that your own Father calls for you by name, asking you to "Stop and wait for Me, please."

I know I've shared on this topic before, but I know for sure that this is a message that will never get old. Dear sisters, in this New Year 2006, slow down! Ask the Lord for a mind renewing experience in His Presence. Really listen to that still small voice of the living Spirit inside of you.

"I appeal to you, therefore brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
Romans 12:1-2

My Challenge for You and for Me,
"Stop and wait for Him, please!

Stephanie

No comments: