Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Child's Christmas

Today I was thinking back to Christmas when I was a child. One of my favorite gifts was a beautiful doll dressed in blue and was wearing a white fur coat and hat. I'm not sure how old I was, but today that doll would be considered an antique! I kept her on my bed, taking good care of her and at age 16, I gave her to a special little girl.
Our youth group chose a project of giving gifts to children through a mission church in Philadelphia. We asked our church congregation to join us in giving. What a blessed Christmas that was, not only for the children, but for us in the youth group. We were able to see a few children receive gifts, and I watched as a little blind girl was given my doll. She rubbed the fur coat to her face and hugged her tight. I don't remember one gift I got that year, but I'll never forget the joy I received in giving, and the happiness of that child. "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35
God gave us a special gift. He gave His only son, Jesus. God loved His son, but gave Him, knowing His Son would become the Savior for all who would accept Him. Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
I received the gift of salvation, also as a child. When I was nine I asked Jesus into my heart. It is the greatest gift I've ever received! I would guess my doll is long gone, but my gift of salvation from the Lord is eternal. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Thank you God for that precious gift!

Dottie

No comments: