Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sabbath Rest

Sabbath Rest
What is Sabbath rest? The precedent was set in the Book of Books; God's Holy inspired Word, in Genesis 2:2-3; "And on the seventh day God finished His work that He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work that He had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all His work that He had done in creation."
"he (Moses) said to them, "This is what the LORD has commanded: 'Tomorrow is a day of solemn rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD;'... -- Exodus 16:23

"See! The Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore on the sixth day He gives you bread for two days. Remain each of you in his place; let no one go out of his place on the seventh day." -- Exodus 16:29

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." -- Exodus 20:8

What comes to your mind when you consider the Sabbath? Is it one of those things that's been relegated to the historical record and thus deemed, not for us, and not something we can realistically do today?

More and more I am thinking about it. I guess it's because I keep hearing the Lord's call to develop some quiet and stillness in my week. Times when I cease from my laboring; from all clamoring, all busyness...everything!

Many books have been written on this topic and I admit I've only partially read one of them. Despite that, I am drawn to figure out how to cultivate this discipline in my life.

This Victory call is a simple attempt to scratch the surface and encourage us all to think about doing as the Lord God of heaven did -He rested!

One baby step that I've made in this direction has been to prepare my Sunday meal on Saturday afternoon or evening. I know it's not much, but it goes a long way toward helping me to get more rest in my Sunday. We come home from worship service, we eat our dinner and I go into chill mode.
Another step is to get all my clothes washed and ready for my upcoming work week, on Saturday evening instead of Sunday night. Baby steps, baby steps. Nothing profound or new, but it makes a marked difference in my Sunday if I don't have to cook and do laundry.

Understandably, I'm no theologian, so I can't say with any degree of authority that we "should" all cease and rest on the Sabbath. I don't even know that it has to be on Sunday or if it's Saturday. But I can and will say that rest is a beautiful thing. Setting a day apart each week that is different from all the rest, has to be a good thing. Don't you agree?

Taste and see that the Lord, He is good. Stephanie

No comments: