Friday, October 26, 2007

Brokeness

Brokenness 

"Brokenness is a condition which exists when a person has given up all confidence in his own ability to manage life." (Steve McVey -The Grace Walk Experience)

We thought about this definition of brokenness yesterday and today I would like to think about our natural response to pull away from brokenness.  When life gets difficult and we are weak, vulnerable, not in control, suffering, and hurting our natural instinct is to DO whatever we can to stop the hurt, to stop the feeling of vulnerability.  In so doing we hinder the effect of our suffering preventing it from bringing us to the end of ourselves, to a point of full surrender and in our weakness to receive God's power, strength and life.

"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10

Let me share an illustration if I may:   When I was a young systems engineer I was the self-appointed social committee for our department.  I planned a white water rafting weekend trip.  About 30 engineers and family members went.  As we prepared for our day on the water, the guides gave us numerous instructions for a safe trip.  I'll never forget the warning we were given about a spot on the river where the water would drive us into the face of a huge rock cliff.  We were told that as we approached that rock our natural inclination would be to lean away from it but in so doing the water current would flip our boat.  We were instructed that instead we must lean into the rock to prevent our boat from dumping us into the white water.  My words cannot express the feeling of racing toward a wall of sheer rock wanting to get as far away from it as possible but forcing ourselves to lean into it. 

Are you ready to embrace brokenness in your life?  Are you ready to give up all confidence in your own ability to manage your life? Are you willing to ask God to make you weak rather than strong?  

Diane

No comments: