Tuesday, October 23, 2007

So What?

So What?

I am in the process of preparing an assignment for a course I am taking.  As I am doing research, which I find quite interesting, I find myself asking, "So, What?"

Currently I am studying the difference between Dispensational theology and Covenant theology. Again, I say, I find it very interesting, but so what?  

I would venture to guess that most of you would have to ask your pastor which doctrinal position your church takes.  Most people do not know if they are Dispensationalists or not.  I am purposely not defining these terms because that is not my point.  My point is this: does not knowing the technical term for your faith change your walk, your belief, your relationship with Jesus Christ?  I don't believe so, not one iota.
I have had a rich walk with Jesus for a lot of years without knowing whether I was Dispensational or covenantal.  

Can we get bogged down in the details and miss the big picture?  Can we get so engrossed in the leaves on the tree that we miss the beauty of the forest?  
Is it important to God that we understand what man thinks a dispensation is and how many we think there are?  
Can you and I be Christ-centered, power-filled, holy, righteous, obedient Christians that will hear on that final day, "Well, done my good and faithful servant" without knowing any of those things?  I believe so.  As much as I enjoy Theology and academics, it pales in comparison to knowing the One True God and Jesus Christ the one that He sent. 

"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." John 17:3

Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ.  Philippians 3:8

...That I may gain Christ.

Diane

No comments: