Tuesday, October 16, 2007

God Sustains Life

God sustains life. Christ as our life.

As we have had numerous conversations in Higher Ground and in the counseling office about grace recently, I have had the following question posed to me on more than one occasion: I don't understand what you mean that Jesus lives in me, doesn't He live in everyone? We can't blink or breathe without Him.
I see in this reasoning confusion between God's sustaining grace and Christ's life in us.

God is creator and sustainer of every created thing. He is the only Self-existent One. He orchestrates the heavens, the stars, all the galaxies, every molecule in the entire universe. "...he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else." Acts 17:25

God sustains life.

God's sustaining life is not the same as Christ's life in his children. God sustains all life, but not everyone has Christ living in them. "...the Spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him' but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." John 14:17 "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" Galatians 2:20

At the moment of conversion, the instant the dead spirit is regenerated, made alive by the power of the Holy Spirit the very Spirit of God indwells, resides in, lives in, that individual. If you have experienced this in your life don't you just want to jump up and shout?

Let me share a few of many verses about this truth:
Romans 8:11
But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

1 Corinthians 3:16
Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

2 Corinthians 6:16
For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people."

Ephesians 3:17
that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith

Colossians 1:27
To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Jesus Christ desires to live His life through you. By faith He will love others through you. He will forgive others through you. He will be kind, gracious, compassionate and gentle through you.

"It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God..." Gal 2:20

Diane

No comments: