Monday, October 15, 2007

The Empty Nest

The Empty Nest

Ahhhh. Peace. Quiet. Rest.

I'm not sure what all the hype is about. I wasn't sure what to expect with all the warnings I was hearing. I usually heard this season of life referred to with remorse and sadness.

I'm still catching my breath.

I love my children dearly but within the last 12-18 months God has been showing me that I love them too dearly. I had to make a conscious choice to let go of this idol in my life. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt my children had become idols in my life. Yet God has graciously led me out of that bondage. You may wonder how can something as good as our children be an idol. We can worship anything. We have been created to worship; the question is what or whom shall we worship.

When life got difficult, I often poured myself into my children because it made me feel better, they brought me comfort. I had allowed them to become my "god". Oh, it wasn't intentional and it didn't happen with one choice.
It happened gradually as I repeatedly made choices that allowed them to edge God out of first place in my life. So, I am ever so grateful that the One True God challenged their position and graciously showed me the reality of my heart. His timing has been perfect so that when our children moved on with their lives our home has been left a whole lot quieter but there is also peace and rest.

Sure I miss them and the Mark Harris song "Find Your Wings" (The Line Between the Two album) still chokes me up especially the line "I'll have tears as you take off But I'll cheer as you fly"
It is my hearts cry that God will give them dreams that He alone can fulfill. That they will soar to heights that I have never known.

Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart."


Diane

No comments: