Thursday, May 22, 2008

Depression

I had someone share with me recently that they were fighting depression and they wondered if this indicated they were lacking something spiritually. How could a solid Christian ever be depressed? Well, listen to these words from Psalm 42.


"My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, 'Where is your God?'" The Psalmist is depressed and discouraged, he is all cried out, he wonders where God is; yet his words were considered spiritual enough to be preserved in the Holy Scriptures. What can we do when we feel depressed and discouraged and wonder if God has forsaken us? The Psalmist continues:

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?
"I say to God my Rock, 'Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?'
"My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, 'Where is your God?'

Have you ever felt you have cried so much you should be suffering from dehydration? Have you felt completely defeated and held down by Satan?

Here are the conclusions the Psalmist came to.

"Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."
"My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you.
"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

Yes, it is quite common for Christians to become discouraged. We live in this world. We are vulnerable to the problems of this world. We have human emotions, and many times we can feel overwhelmed. But the Psalmist tells us to Put your hope in God, Praise God, Remember God.

No matter how depressed you feel, God has not left you. He is standing there waiting for you to turn to Him and just curl up in His lap. You will be safe there.

"By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me" (Psalm 42:8 NIV).

Marilyn Heavilin is our summer counselor-in-residence

No comments: