Thursday, May 15, 2008

Flying Fish

Flying Fish
If you travel the Garden State Parkway, you've noticed the speed limit has been reduced from 65 MPH to 55 MPH in a section that runs through Monmouth and Ocean Counties. It was reported that due to the high number of accidents in this area it would be advisable to reduce the speed limit. In my opinion, I agree. I agree because I've been driving long enough to realize that the faster I'm going the harder it is to stop or slow down. Having had very few accidents, praise the Lord, I also realize how much the impact is felt even at a low speed.
Sadly though, I also realized something else. I speed! If the speed limit is 55 MPH chances are I'll do 60 MPH, 65 MPH I may push it to 70 MPH, but that's as fast as I want to be going and faster than I legally should be. Yes, I realize I am 100% in the wrong and I need to comply with the law. No argument there.
A friend was driving over the past weekend and I was one of the passengers. She is a good driver and was very conscience of the fact that she tends to speed and she was really paying attention not to do so. She shared a funny story of conviction. She had attached to her car a stick-on emblem of a fish, symbolizing Christianity. One day, while speeding, the fish flew right off the car! Her husband remarked; "Uh, honey, flying fish are not a good testimony..." Well, as you can imagine we got a good laugh out of that one! But he did make a valid point.
I pray that this might not only give you a laugh today, but also and most importantly give you pause the next time to get in and buckle-up (we are doing that right ladies?), before you hit the peddle to the metal remember we don't just "walk with the Lord" we "drive with Him too."
I may show my age by quoting this from a TV show no longer on the air, but I bet some of you will remember Hill Street Blues, just before the police were sent out for the day the Captain would say...
Let's be careful out there-

Dina Seaton serves on staff in marketing and also as a staff writer and speaker. She is the mother of one son, John, who is 13 years old and a geographical genius! (Or so she says...) She is currently working on completing her first book, "Do It Again LORD...Do It Again!" A collection of interviews that will excite your faith...

No comments: