Thursday, May 08, 2008

What's In a Name?

What's in a name?

One of the things that impresses me about my boss, Bill Welte, is his knack for remembering names. It is not something I have a knack for. I try, really I do. I meet a lot of people through the ministry and through the speaking opportunities I have. I want to remember names because I know how important it is and it is somewhat embarrassing when people call me by name, but I have no idea who they are. It would be a minor point except it happens to me a lot! As a function of my position at America's KESWICK, I have been on stage on multiple occasions, so people have gotten to know me without me having the benefit of me getting to know them.

I was walking into the cleaners one day in Whiting, when I overheard two women sitting on a bench whispering to each other, "There's Diane Hunt, that lady from Keswick." I had no idea who they were.

Over the years, I have learned to say, as I smile and shake hands, "remind me of your name again." Little do they know, I will probably say that each time I see them. I was struck recently, as I pondered why I struggle so with this, that unless I have some type of relationship with the person, I don't retain their name. It is not because I don't want to; it's just that I don't have anything tangible to attach that name to. A name is personal. The combination of the name and the person identifies them uniquely. If I know two Susans I don't get them confused because they have the same name, because the name is attached to people with whom I have relationships.

All that to say, God knows us by name. He knows each of us uniquely and doesn't confuse us, ever. That is how personally and intimately He knows each one of us. He knows us. He has relationship with us. He knows our name.

Isaiah 43:1 "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine."

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK, Biblical Counselor, Conference and retreat speaker, Victory Call writer/editor, wife, mother, grandmother, and nut and not necessarily in that order.

No comments: