Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Swear to Tell the Truth

"I swear to tell the truth.."
As I look into the book that witnesses are sworn in on I read Philippians 4:8 "Finally brethren, whatever things are TRUE, whatever things are noble. Whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy- meditate on these things." For today let's think about what is true.

If you are like me you tend to do a lot of thinking. My specialty is "stinkin' thinkin'". My friend, Mary Ann, has had to bring this to my attention. It's almost embarrassing how often she has to point out to me that I am "projecting into the future things that haven't even happened yet."

One of my favorite authors, Alicia Britt Chole tells of her "not yet truths" in this way: Her husband was late getting home at 12:00. She thought that was interesting. At 12:05, she thought "Hhhhmmm", at 12:10, she thought " I wonder if something happened?', at 12:15 "What IF something happened?, at 12:20,"Something DID happen and it was BAD!", by 12:25 her husband had been hit by a bus, by 12:30 he was lying in the road in a pool of blood, by 12:45 the police were at the door telling her that her husband had died, at 1:00 she was weeping and planning a funeral. At 1:05 she greeted her husband at the door exclaiming "You're alive! You're alive!" He had been delayed in traffic but she spent much time and energy on what wasn't even true.

This is not just a vivid imagination gone amuck.. This is thinking on things that are not even true. Don't you and I have enough reality without making it up too? "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:34 In your situation separate what is true from what is false. Try not to speculate, project or write the story in your mind but think on what is true.

"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Kathy Withers is on staff full-time at the Keswick Book and Gift Shop. She is married to her husband Dave and has two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church. Her passion is the Word of God and encouraging women to dig deeper into the truths of the Bible.


---------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: