Friday, May 02, 2008

The TO-DO List

The To-Do List

I love my lists and I have many of them! If you are anything like me, you may have a few of these lists too: housework list, yard work list, work list, grocery list, books to read list, and the very popular...things I would love to do list (to name just a few)! I love to see it all there in black and white so I might be able to plan my day, week or month. There are even some cute little "To Do" pads of paper when I really want to get fancy. The best part of a list is when an item on it actually gets checked off. I feel as though I've accomplished something. There is something very strange though about those lists...every time I check one off...two more take its place!

There are times I start my day with my agenda, my head filled to overflowing with what "needs" to be accomplished...or at least what I THINK needs to be accomplished. I've found...through experience...that never goes well. Instead of lifting my day to the Lord and giving it all to Him, I have a lapse of memory and think I know better than God what I just HAVE to get done. How sad is that? Why do I have to continually learn the same lesson over and over again?

Jeremiah 10:23 "I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps."
Proverbs 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, the Lord determines his steps."

As a child of the king, my day and my life belong to Him....yes,even my "To Do" lists. When I take it all to Him, give it to Him and ask Him to guide me and show me just what is on HIS "To Do" list for my day...I accomplish the really important stuff and have peace about the rest. The Lord always provides exactly what I need...His grace is always sufficient for what's on His list.

Mary Ann Kiernan and John have been married for 35 years, have 2 grown/married sons and are the proud grandparents of two grandsons. She serves at America's Keswick as a Biblical Counselor and also as Intake Coordinator for the Colony of Mercy. Her life verse is Romans 8:28.

No comments: