Monday, May 05, 2008

Liberated Through Submission Part One

Liberated Through Submission Part One

P.B. Wilson, author of Liberated Through Submission, was on the radio. As she spoke she read 1 Samuel 15:23-"For rebellion is the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry..." I sat in my car and wept as she explained a lack of submission was the same as rebellion and witchcraft. When we don't submit we are really unwilling to give up control. And, what is witchcraft? It is casting a spell to gain control over another person so they do exactly what you want!

After the fall in the Garden of Eden, Eve was told by God that from that point on her desire would be for her husband (Genesis 3:16). John MacArthur comments: "Sin has turned the harmonious system of God-ordained roles into distasteful struggles of self-will. The woman's desire will be to lord it over her husband, but the husband will rule by divine design" (Note: JMA Study Bible NKJV).

I recently had to learn this lesson yet again! We had the opportunity to purchase a dining room set from my Aunt. When I asked Dave what he thought he told me it was an expense we didn't need right now and that the answer was "no". I know in my heart that part of his leadership role is for him to be able to say "no" to me. Now, I really, really wanted that set! Couldn't he lead next week? So for the next 36 hours or so I struggled to let it go. I came up with a plan that would only manipulate and undermine his authority. I couldn't do it. I prayed that I would just submit. The next morning a pastor on the radio gave a definition of submission. He said "It means to duck so God can hit him." Well, I don't know that I agree with that but it convicted me because I did not want God to "hit" him. Dave wasn't wrong. I needed to duck alright; but there was no reason for God to "hit" him. I got a picture of Jesus patting Dave on the back saying "Way to go! That is what I need you to do." I felt at peace about letting go of my wants and submitting because God is working in my husband.

Having to have control puts us in chains. Submission liberates us as we trust the One who truly is in control!

Kathy is on staff full-time at the Keswick Book and Gift Shop. She is married to her husband, Dave and has two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church. Her passion is the Word of God and encouraging women to dig deeper into the truths of the Bible.

No comments: