Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Liberated Through Submission Part 2

Liberated Through Submission Part Two

Functional subordination. This is a term my pastor has used in regards to how the church, marriage and our lives in general are ordered. Submission is not some horrible way to live. Rather we live according to the order God has laid out. In God's order the husband has been given headship over the wife (Eph. 5:23). The wife is under the headship of the husband not because God thinks less of women but because He is a God of order. But who is head over the man? Jesus Christ. The Word also tells us that we are to submit one to another in the fear of God (Eph. 5:21) Submission is an issue for men, women, married, single, child to parent. No one is exempt because ultimately, everyone must submit to God!

Being submissive is hard because we want to have a say. (Gen 3:16) I have told God my plans, my opinions and my desired results under the disguise of prayer. His will is not my desire. I am really telling God I want my independence and my own way.

When you and I truly submit we are liberated because we know we are in the care of our Heavenly Father. By submitting we are leaving the end result up to God. Do I really trust Him with knowing and providing for my best? (Matt 7:11) Wanting control + lacking submission = no trust in God.

You may be thinking that if you submit your circumstance to the Lord it would turn out poorly. It just may look that way if you are not really submitting in the first place. It may appear that submitting didn't "work" if you are only looking at someone else. Submission is not about gaining a desired ending. Submission is about trusting God as we die to ourselves. For me knowing God was at work freed me to be more excited about what God was doing than what I wanted.

I know that we are very good at justifying our sins of rebellion. After all, control sounds so much better than witchcraft. I can imagine you are thinking that I just don't know who you have to submit to. You are right. I don't know your husband, your boss, your parents, or your pastor. But I know Jesus Christ. He loves you. He wants to take the burden of being in charge away from you. He wants to liberate you to live in peace and freedom as you live in obedience to His order.

Kathy is on staff full-time at the Keswick Book and Gift Shop. She is married to her husband, Dave and has two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church. Her passion is the Word of God and encouraging women to dig deeper into the truths of the Bible.

No comments: