Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Grant Us To Be Like-Minded

May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 15:5-6(ESV) Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 15:5-6 (NKJV)

Over the years I have shared this verse with numerous couples and challenged them to pray this verse for their marriage. I have encouraged others to pray this verse in the face of conflict.  Recently, I was driving to work one morning and I was praying this verse as I had been for a while when it occurred to me I was skipping parts, not intentionally but just the same, I was. I realized I was leaving out some very important parts.  

I was praying "that we would be like-minded and that with one mind and one mouth we would glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."  Then I remembered I had left out "toward one another."  That makes it much more personal.  We are called to be like-minded toward one another. Some people are easy to be like-minded with, others not so much.  I think if we pray to be like-minded that somehow it seems as if the other people will be persuaded to think like we think.  To be like-minded TOWARD ONE ANOTHER implies that most likely both people will change.  

The other part of the Scripture I was leaving out was even more important: "toward one another, ACCORDING TO CHRIST JESUS."  The only way to be like-minded in a way that will glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is ACCORDING TO CHRIST JESUS.  In myself, I am more inclined to be self-minded that I am to be like-minded. I want my own way.  I think my way is, maybe not the only way, but the best way.  For me to be like-minded toward others according to Christ requires the power of God in me to accomplish such a feat.    

If we, as brothers and sisters in Christ, pursue to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, we will with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our homes and churches will never be the same.  

Diane

No comments: