Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The Push to be Palatable

I once had the opportunity to have some of my writing critiqued by Christian editors. One in particular was a past Victory Call: "My Neighbor the Evangelist." It refers to a conversation I had with my then five-year-old neighbor that I believe has the gift of evangelism. In the Victory Call I quoted her saying that she was so glad she would be with God forever some day, but was especially thrilled she wouldn't go to hell which she explained to me was a burning lake of fire.

Rev. 20:15 If anyone's name was not found written in the Book of Life he was thrown into the lake of fire.  

She was speaking the truth written in the book of Revelation.

Unfortunately, for the editor of this Christian publication, it was a bit too "negative," as she put it. She suggested I focus a bit more on the positive, like "heaven." I guess you could look at it that way. Or...you could praise the Lord for the truth. We are all sinners, and the wages for our sin is death. Oops, I'm also not really supposed to say we...ok, I am a sinner and the wages for my sin is death. But wait a minute... that's only part of the truth. You deserve the whole truth. You are a sinner and the wages for your sin is death. But the Good News is that we both have had, no, we all have had our debt paid by the spilled blood of Jesus Christ. Believing in that sets us FREE! Oh no, I wasn't supposed to mention blood either. Are you offended! Don't be. Be grateful! God loved us enough to send His Son. I love you enough to tell you the whole truth!

Dina

No comments: