Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Nurturing a Heart for God 2

Many years ago, I went through a season of anxiety and depression.  Like most of us, I was looking for a fast way out.  There was none to be had.  I had recently graduated seminary and had been blessed beyond blessed by the Systematics courses that I took.  One of the things that I did was to pull out my notes from those courses and meditate on truths about God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.    I absolutely loved these courses and found my heart filled with praise and worship while I was taking them, so it made sense to me to revisit those truths.  I also knew that suffering takes on a completely different perspective in light of the vastness of God.  

Westminster Shorter Catechism Question #4: What is God? Answer: God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth.

As we consider nurturing a heart for God, revisit together with me the unchangeable truths about God's incommunicable attributes (unique to God).  

God is SELF-EXISTENT (independent) - There is nothing outside of God that is required to sustain His existence.  God simply is.  

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM."

Acts 17:24-25 The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.

God is IMMUTABLE. God does not change.  His unchanging perfection is always reality in the immediate moment.  

Psalm 102:25-27 Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end.

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today and forever.

Tomorrow, we will continue to look at the awesomeness of God's unique qualities. 

Diane

No comments: