Thursday, April 09, 2009

Hypocrisy

Mark 7:5-9 And the Pharisees and the scribes asked him, "Why do your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat with defiled hands?" And he said to them, "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, 'This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men." And he said to them, "You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!

Every time I read this section of scripture I am grieved at ways we as "good Christians" do exactly as the Pharisees under the guise of "godliness." We set up standards for dress or behavior that boil down to our preferences or our own up-bringing but are, in no way, rooted in the Word of God.  We are guilty of teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.  God is not concerned with our attire but our heart.  

I can't say this dogmatically but I am pretty sure there is no standard in Scripture requiring a certain dress code for holiness.  I believe women are commanded to dress modestly and so as not to draw attention to themselves in 1 Timothy 2:9-10  "women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness-with good works."  The footnote in the ESV Study Bible says, "Paul is not prohibiting the wearing of jewelry...; the principle is that women should not dress ostentatiously or seductively, but in a way that is proper." (pg 2328).  

I believe we do a grave disservice to brothers and sisters in Christ when we judge their motives.  We cannot assume that those that dress or behave different than we are rebellious or failing to pursue grace or godliness.  

I must admit, it took me some time to get used to a worship leader in flip flops.  It was so contrary to my background, my experience. God challenged my critical/judgmental spirit forcing me to see the man not his attire.  This young man has a heart for God. He leads the congregation in worship with great fervor and delight.  His passion is to ignite our passion for God so that we, together, raise our voices in praise and worship.  I don't even notice what's on his feet anymore.  I know there are some out there that think it is down right disrespectful.  So I ask by whose standards?  Is it a biblical doctrine or is it a commandment of men?  If Mark 7 is any indication, God wants us to stop worshiping Him with hearts that prefer man's traditions and commandments because it isn't worship at all but merely lip service.  He calls such people hypocrites. May that never be true of us.  

Father, thank you for your forgiveness, purchased by Your own blood that covers my sin of hypocrisy.  Show me the ways in which I put my standards, my preferences, my pet traditions ahead of a heart for You. When I teach as doctrines the commandments of men, make me aware of my error, my sin.  Lord, I pray that I will not only honor you with my lips but that my heart will constantly be drawing nearer and nearer to You in pure unadulterated delight and passion.  

Diane

No comments: