Monday, November 16, 2009

Confess your righteousness...

Philippians 3:8-9: Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, NOT HAVING A RIGHTEOUSNESS OF MY OWN that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith (emphasis mine).

Isaiah 64:6: ...all our righteous acts are like filthy rags (NIV).

Galatians 2:21: I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

"Before you can ever make a clean and unamended confession of your sin, you have to first begin by confessing your righteousness. It's not just your sin that separates you from God; your righteousness does as well. Because, when you are convinced you are righteous, you don't seek the forgiving, rescuing, and restoring mercy that can be found only in Jesus Christ." [Paul David Tripp ~ Whiter than Snow: Meditations on Sin and Mercy]

I couldn't say it any better than that.

Diane

No comments: