Friday, November 20, 2009

Heavenly Mother

Ah, ha. I suspect you responded to my title the same way I did the first time it came to mind. God is our Heavenly Father yes, but our Heavenly Mother? Hear me out.

As difficult as it is for some people to grasp or accept that God is their Heavenly Father, there is at least some recognition that it is true.

For those with less than stellar, absent or flat out abusive earthly fathers they often struggle with embracing God as Father. They may transfer their experience and feelings of their earthly father to God.

But what about those with less than stellar, absent or flat out abusive earthly mothers? Isn't it true in one sense that God desires to be our Heavenly Mother?

Here's why I say that:
1. God desires to meet the deepest longing of our hearts and if it's for a mother, then that is where He will meet us.
2. "As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you;" Is 66:13 God comforts like a mother.
3. "For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the LORD will take me in." Psalm 27:10. Even if our parents forsake us, God never will.
4. John 1:12-13 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God."5. "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27 God is neither male nor female and though He has chosen to communicate Himself as Father, He does not negate His heart to comfort as a mother.

Diane

No comments: