Friday, November 13, 2009

WHAT IS YOUR MEASURING STICK?

I was speaking to a group of people who had experienced various recent losses - a spouse, a child, a sibling - and was very surprised to discover that none of them were attending any support groups. One woman commented, "My children are my support group. Isn't that enough?" My mind immediately went to 2 Corinthians 10:12 "We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise" (NIV). If her children are supporting her, then I have to ask, "Who is supporting them?" And the next question is, "How will they know when their mom needs more help than they can give or that she is in trouble?"

The same theory goes for our Christian walk. Who are we using as our measuring stick? If we are a young parent or newlywed and our only measurement comes from other young parents or newlyweds, how do we know if we're not ALL in trouble?

God's Word should be our measuring stick. I learned this principle when I was building doll houses. When I cut a board the right length, I must always use that as my measuring stick. If I start to use the freshly cut board, my measuring stick will change and the boards will not be uniform. Their size will vary.

The same is true in our Christian walk. We must keep our eyes on Jesus and God's Word to make sure our results will be pleasing to God.

MWH

No comments: