Friday, November 27, 2009

Do we have any Abrahams and Sarahs today?

One of my favorite magazines is called "Keepers at Home." I love the simplicity of it and the great articles and devotions for wives and mothers.

Recently I lost a good friend, mentor and a godly example of a woman. She was my first Sunday School teacher. I can remember her kindness even to this day after 40 some years. Janet was to me a woman of character, a woman of faith, a woman to be remembered.

Looking into the Scriptures there are many women we can reflect upon and learn from and be encouraged by....but what about someone today that we can look up to? Are you someone that a young lady can admire for being faithful, strong in the Lord and always showing God's love?

The article/devotion I read today asked the question....Do we have any Abraham and Sarahs today? Well, do we...?

As I was remembering my friend Janet today, and the challenge she left me with, I decided to pick up this very issue and here was another challenge for me. You see, Janet always told me over the years....even if you are washing the dishes, do it unto the Lord. She said you never know when He will take you home and you want to be serving Him at that very moment. The older I get the more I can understand and appreciate what she was saying and how much of an example this can be to others.

Have I been a Sarah to others looking at me and peering into my life? Can I honestly say that daily I show the light of Christ to all around me? For me it is easy at work. It is what I do. I work and minister at a Christian conference center. But at home.....well, isn't this where I can relax and be myself? Then the question I need to ask myself is...who am I in Christ. Am I only a godly woman at work? Do I only need to show Christ at my ministry/work? No....and I was strongly reminded of that by the devotion I ready today.

Psalm 127:1
Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it...

Live for the good of others, helpless, oppressed, and wrong;
Lift them from depths of sorrow, In His strength, be strong.
(Written by Grandmother Lois - Keepers at Home Summer 1999 issue)

We need some pillars in our society for our young women to have to hold onto for an example.

Revelation 14:13
Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth, yea saith the spirit, that they may rest from their labors, and their works do follow them.

When you doubt what you do is worth something....remember doing an ordinary thing in an ordinary way....you will never lack for work. This includes tending our homes, our children, our husbands and even doing the dishes.

Let me attach an article that touched my heart today that should summarize what I am trying to say. May the Lord show us today what we are called to do for Him.

Lynn Wilson

The HIDDEN WOMAN....by Roy Lessin (Keepers at Home Magazine Summer 1999)

A woman once fretted over the usefulness of her life. She feared she was wasting her potential being a devoted wife and mother. She wondered if the time and energy she invested in her husband and children would make a difference. At times she got discouraged because so much of what she did seemed to go unnoticed and unappreciated.

"Is it worth it?" she often wondered. "Is there something better that I could be doing with my time?" It was during one of these moments of questioning that she heard the still small voice of her Heavenly Father speak to her heart. "You are a wife and mother because that is what I have called you to be. Much of what you do is hidden from the public eye, but I notice. Most of what you give is done without remuneration. But I am your reward."

"Your husband cannot be the man I have called him to be with out your support. Your influence upon him is greater than you think and more powerful than you will ever know. I bless him through your service and honor him through your love. Your children are precious to Me...even more precious than they are to you. I have entrusted them to your care to raise for me. What you invest in them is an offering to Me."

"You may never be in the public spotlight. But your obedience shines as bright light for Me. Continue on.

Remember you are My servant, Do all to please Me".

1 comment:

Mark Borchelt said...

A powerful statement of what God wants us to be through Him. The world cannot be what God wants it to be unless we humble ourselves and serve others unconditionally. I praise God for your words of encouragement.