Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Spiritual Wellness

Yet again I have had to focus on my physical health. As is often the case, I had done well for a period of time, watching my weight and exercising, then came stress and with it some old habits. I finally got disgusted with how I felt and I began to discipline my eating and exercise habits. My motto has become "An hour of exercise is better then four months of getting it back off." The cooler seasons have come and I find myself facing temptations. The fresh fruits and veggies I like are harder to find and salads don't taste as good in the cold weather. It is the same for my spiritual wellness, too. I can do so well but then lose focus and soon I am feeling rotten because my devotions and disciplines have fallen by the wayside.

When I saw a study on Colossians, "A Women's Guide to Spiritual Wellness" by Rhonda H. Kelley, I was reminded again of how important it is that I take care of all aspects of my health. At the utmost is that my walk with Jesus be healthy and vital. Rhonda Kelley begins her study with this thought, "Physicians today are focusing medical interventions more on prevention than on treatment. Most prefer physical wellness for the body over treatment of illness."

How are you doing spiritually? Would an ounce of prevention be better than the cure? Would an hour with Jesus be better then trying to catch up or start over?

I look forward to sharing some things I glean from this study on Colossians. The first thing I learned is found in Colossians 1:1. "Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God..." Sam Storms comments "..all things in all of our lives at every moment in the twenty-first century must be attributed to the will of God. Have you paused to ponder the fact that who you are is 'by the will of God,' as well as what you do, where you live, how much you own, whatever you accomplish? Needless to say this excludes your sinful deeds and rebellious attitude and failure to obey the Scriptures." The first step to healthy eating is usually purging all the junk from the cabinets and fridge. The first day of exercise always causes a good deal of pain. Deciding to be spiritually well is similar. It takes purging the junk and beginning anew which sometimes can be painful. The first step to prevention and treatment for our spiritual wellness is to be sure we are walking "by the will of God" in all areas of our lives.

Kathy Withers

Kathy has recently joined the Development Team at America's KESWICK. She has been married to her husband, Dave, for 24 years and they have 2 adult children, Michael and Kerri.

No comments: