Thursday, November 19, 2009

KEEP A WATCH OVER MY MOUTH

Have you ever heard words come out of your mouth and you have gasped? My thought is frequently, "Oh, Lord, I shouldn't have said that. How could I have said such a thing?" Then my thought has quickly turned to, "How can I talk my way out of that one?"

As I read the verse in Proverbs: "If you have been trapped by what you said....Go and humble yourself" (Proverbs 6:2 and 3 NIV).

Oh, I have been trapped by what I said. So what should I do? Verse 3 tells me: "Go and humble yourself." You mean I have to admit I was wrong? Yes, that's what the Bible says. To whom should I go? The first person we must go to is the Lord. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9 NIV).

Once we talk to the Lord and admit our sin, we are better prepared to go to the person, humble ourselves, and say, "I was wrong." So is that it? No. We are expected to change. "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil. He must turn from evil and do good" (1 Peter 3:10-11 NIV).

* Be Contrite

* Be willing to Confess

* Trust God to help you Change

Marilyn Heavilin

No comments: