Wednesday, May 12, 2010

ARE YOU WILLING TO WAIT?

"Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD" (Psalm 27:14).

Today has been hectic. We're planning to leave the area in the morning. We have had many medical events in the last year and trying to get all of the prescriptions and doctors' orders all lined up has been a real challenge. I kept hearing the words Wait on Me. I went to my on-line Bible, put in the words Wait on the Lord and watched to see what would come up. Well, this is the first verse that caught my attention: "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say on the LORD" (Psalm 27:14). Ok, so the command is quite clear, but how do I do that?

"Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart." So does the instruction simply mean I should be brave? Actually, I believe it means that I should be encouraged. I made a decision that I would remind myself of the other times that God had been faithful and I would wait for the Lord to come through this time as well.

Matthew Henry commented, "wait, I say, on the Lord; whatever you do, grow not remiss in your attendance upon God. (2.) Keep up your spirits in the midst of the greatest dangers and difficulties: Be of good courage; let your hearts be fixed, trusting in God, and your minds stayed upon him, and then let none of these things move you. Those that wait upon the Lord have reason to be of good courage."1

And come through, He did. Part of the hecticness of this day has been dissipated, and I know He will resolve the rest as He sees fit. How about you? Are you waiting on the Lord? Be encouraged. Let Him know you are waiting for Him to come through. Let Him strengthen your heart. Remind yourself of how He has always come through in His time. "Wait, I say, on the Lord."

Marilyn Heavilin

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months.

PSALM 66
18If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened.
19But truly God has listened;
he has attended to the voice of my prayer.

1 Matthew Henry, E-Sword, on-line resource

No comments: