Monday, May 24, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER PSALM 91:1-4

Over the next 3 weeks we will be meditating and memorizing Psalm 91 in its entirety. If you haven't joined us on our journey so far, now is a great time to jump in. I had the opportunity to meet with a lovely woman this week who is in her 80's. She was gracious and enthusiastic about life. She shared with me that verses she memorized as a child still come back to her even now. I want that. I want to have stored up so much Scripture in my heart and mind that if my memory starts to go, I will have much truth to feast upon in my heart.

This week we start with the first 4 verses:
1He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
3For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
4He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

Commentary:"This psalm describes God's on-going sovereign protection of His people from the ever-present dangers and terrors which surround humanity. The original setting may be that of an army about to go to battle. Most of the terrors mentioned in this psalm are left undefined, no doubt intentionally, so that no kind of danger is omitted from application. Believers in every age can read this psalm to learn that nothing can harm a child of God unless the Lord permits it." The MacArthur Bible Commentary by John MacArthur pg. 658.

No comments: