Monday, May 10, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER Psalm 66:16-20

I have been enjoying our focused attention on specific Scriptures and this week's is no different. I hope you are making progress on your journey along with us. I know there are those of you who skim over our Monday and Friday Victory Calls because they are JUST about the Scripture and memorization. Ho, hum. Right? READER BEWARE! There is nothing "ho, hum" about the meditation and memorization of God's Word. Imagine, God's Words from His lips to your ears, your heart. Are you listening?

Psalm 66:16-20
16 Come and hear, all you who fear God,
and I will tell what he has done for my soul.
17I cried to him with my mouth,
and high praise was on my tongue.
18If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened.
19But truly God has listened;
he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
20Blessed be God,
because he has not rejected my prayer
or removed his steadfast love from me!

Commentary:"The OT insists that each member of the people must own the covenant for himself; thus each one would have some report of what God has done for his soul (and not just for the people as a whole.) ...The one requirement is that the worshiper has not cherished (lit., "looked forward to," "aimed for") iniquity in his heart (v.18). The term "iniquity" here... refers to what is vile and abhorrent to God. To "cherish iniquity" is to aim at it; in context it refers to praying for God's help in order to be able to commit some form of sin - a practice the truly pious reject. Therefore it would be a misinterpretation to read this as implying that absolute sinlessness is a condition for answered prayer; rather, it reminds the faithful to pray for God's help in order to give him thanks and to serve him better..." ESV Study Bible notes pg 1016.

No comments: