Monday, August 07, 2006

PATHS

In life we are often faced with unexpected turns. We have to learn to flex and adapt to the twists and turns. We know changes are part of life. But sometimes in life we see a road sign that says "Dead End," "No Outlet." So then what do we do? We can try to ignore the sign, but we can't go very far, can we? At least when we get a "Dead End" sign, we don't have to wonder what God wants us to do. We have little choice, we can't move ahead on a familiar road, and we know it is fruitless to buck against the road sign. These are the times when God wants to provide us with a new road. It may not be the road we would choose, but God will direct us.
When our son Nathan was killed by a drunken driver, I felt like I had hit a dead end. I wanted to continue as Nathan's mom. I wanted to watch him grow up, go to college, and hopefully marry and have lots of children. However, those options were closed to me. I didn't like my options: live without Nathan, learn to understand grief, encourage others. But God gave me a verse I clung to. "He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be astounded. They will put their trust in the Lord" (Psalm 40:3 TNLB). God has kept His promise to me.
How about you? Are you facing a Dead End with no outlets? Perhaps God is waiting for you to look to Him to create a new path for you. It may not be the path you would choose, but He has promised He will give you a new song and others will be astounded. Trust Him. He loves you, and He has His best in store for you.

Marilyn Heavilin

No comments: