Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Think On These Things...

One morning, before anyone else was even up; I was struggling with ungodly thoughts. You know the ones I mean -- negative, lies, conjecture, imaginations, unjust, impure, ugly, angry, bitter, etc. Basically the opposite of that which Philippians 4:8 commands us to think about. "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things."
It doesn't take long to get on that runaway train heading down the wrong track in our minds. Perhaps it is rehearsing someone's offense against us, or the disappointment of someone not keeping their word, or guilt and shame from past choices, or your finances or relationships; and the list goes on and on.
If you have ever tried to not think about something it is that very thing that tends to fight for center stage in our mind. Just saying, "I'm not going to think about that" usually lasts milliseconds. Sometimes it feels impossible to stop particular thoughts. Yet, it must be possible. Romans 12:2, "...do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." 2 Timothy 1:7, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
That particular morning I cried out to God for His mercy that He would show me how to deal with such an aggressive and resilient enemy. Within moments He led me to Philippians 4:8. I started solidifying that verse in my mind which I knew in general for years. Each time during the day and since that I found my thoughts going where they ought not, I recalled this verse to mind. It has been an effective tool in knocking the "power" out of wrong thoughts.
Try it. You will find that you are one step closer to renewing your mind.

Diane

No comments: