Wednesday, September 06, 2006

From Victim to Victory

From Victim to Victory

I've recently been thinking about how easy it is for us to remain stuck in a "victim mentality" rather than live in victory through Christ. Each one of us has sinned against someone else, but I also know that each one of us has been sinned against also. Some hurts are so deep that we walk around with our wounds, ready to rip open the bandage and show anyone who will look so that they can know of our pain and perhaps comfort or sympathize with us. We forever walk around with a placard that says, "I've been betrayed, abandoned, cheated against, abused (physically or emotionally)" or what ever, you can fill in the blank. We have a tendency to take our hurts first to our family or friends and then at some point to God.
I can just see our heavenly Father waiting for us to bring all our wounds to Him. His arms are opened wide ready to comfort and give us His strength. Matt. 11:28- 30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and by burden is light." He is the only one who will listen anytime night or day. He is the only one who can truly comfort us. He's the one that stands ready to take us from victim to victory. It's not that we are to forget what has happened, but God takes our pain, hurts, and suffering and transforms it to treasure, for His glory. And we can claim victory through Christ. Our pain no longer defines who we are; it is just included in the fabric of our life to make us who we are.
I remember, ever so clearly, before I was a Christian walking around, downcast all the time, saying to just about everyone, "Why me? Poor me." My teen sons were spiraling out of control in the drug world I was in pain, miserable, and hurt. I beat myself up for being a bad Mom and wife. But after I gave my heart to Jesus, I began to continually cry out to Him and surrender my life, my sons and my marriage to Him daily. I took it back many times but I was determined to keep giving it to Him. I had come to know He was the only one who could give me or my family victory.
Romans 8:28 became my reality. "We know in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." God is in the business of transforming lives as they are surrendered to Him. Not only has my victim status has been transformed to victory, but He has transformed my pain for His purposes. Who but God!

Mary Ann

No comments: