Friday, September 29, 2006

Scripture Chemo

John 8:32, "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Scripture Chemo -

I was out walking a few weeks ago, reviewing the Scripture verses in my binder when it occurred to me that memorizing, meditating and praying scripture is a lot like Chemotherapy.
Chemotherapy is intended to seek out and destroy the sick cancer cells so that healthy cells can replace them.
Scripture is intended to seek out and destroy the sin-sick cells and replace them with healthy cells of God's truth.
I had misplaced my Scripture binder which is full of verses that speak specifically to my heart in my areas of weakness. It had been a few days and I was missing it when I found it in my desk drawer at work. That evening I was able to read, pray and meditate on 'my' verses again, and such a peace came over me. I was savoring God's truth, like one would savor a rich dessert. Every muscle relaxed like slipping into a warm bath, that ahhhh experience.
I encourage you to consider developing your own Scripture chemo. Find verses that speak truths to your heart in your areas of weakness then daily, or a few times a day, read, meditate and pray 'your' verses. Savor them.
Start today allowing God's word to eradicate the sin-sick cells in your thinking and replace them with healthy cells of God's truth.

Diane

No comments: