Monday, September 25, 2006

Nibbled Into Being Lost

Nibbled Into Being Lost

Recently, I had a much longed for time of fellowship with someone. At one time she and I had been much closer in our friendship. Yet somehow time had passed and friendship erosion had taken place.

We spoke about it when we met and both identified some of the little things that -over time- have led us to make those almost indiscernible baby steps backwards and away from each other. We saw the gradual path that we had wandered down as our friendship was nibbled away.

We acknowledged that first and foremost the drifting away was, for us, sin. Why? Because...in all those microscopic incidents that we stored up as offenses, we were thinking more of ourselves and much to willing to think the worst of each other. In other words, the law of love was not working in our own hearts and lives. Ah, but that is another subject for another Victory Call for another day.

Today my focus for us to glean from is the nibbling process that we employ and thus, find ourselves lost and drifting. Not only do we drift from our earthly relationships with friends and family but from the one relationship that sustains us, gives us life, keeps us safe, secure, and most of all, found righteous before a Holy God.

The title expression came from a devotional I often read. The author was referring to cows and how they regularly manage to wander off and get lost. Let me explain it to you.
This is what he wrote:

"Ask a rancher how a cow gets lost, and chances are he will reply, 'Well, the cow starts nibbling on a tuft of green grass, and when it finishes, it looks ahead to the next tuft of green grass and starts nibbling on that one, and then it nibbles on a tuft of green grass right next to the hole in the fence. It then sees another tuft of green grass on the other side of the fence, so it nibbles on that one and then goes on to the next tuft. The next thing you know the cow has nibbled itself into being lost."1

Pretty interesting, isn't it? I thought so and as I read it my time with my friend came to mind, so I shared it with you in the hope that you would take a look at 2 things.

1. Your relationship with God through Christ
2. The relationships that you have with other people

Are you close to home? Rather are you close to God? Are your relationships with the people in your life up to par? Is there anyone whom you have wandered away from, or backed away from? Is there a bad feeling you have harbored that has led to one bad thought, and then another, and another until suddenly, you look up from "yourself" and realize, you can no longer see or feel the depth of relationship you once had -with God or with people.?

Dear one, these are questions that I sincerely hope you take the time to share with God. You may be able to trust yourself with the truth, but I know me and I know my flesh will always look for a way out of anything that may cause me pain.

But our Father, He is faithful to tell us the truth about ourselves every single time. He wants what's best for us for one reason -that we live life in such a way as to bring glory and honor to His name. He has a plan for you. He has one for me. And I don't want to leave this earth one foot shy of victory because I allowed bad feelings and stinky feelings to nibble at my heart and cause me to wander far from Him and Home. I don't want to be guilty of forgetting, that love (1 Corinthians 13) is the more excellent thing.

Stephanie :)

1. Mark H. Creech, "The Right Frame of Mind. How did Mainline Churches Get This Way?" August 25, 2003. Agape Press

No comments: