Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Be ready in season and out

Be ready in season and out


We were in the middle of a conference check-in. (for all of you not familiar with Keswick - we were busy!), when suddenly my co-worker came to me and said; "Dina, would you like to give this woman marriage counseling?" I said you're kidding me right? She was not kidding! So of course I met her briefly and took her aside for some privacy. First and foremost I explained I was not a counselor. I can minister to her and share with her but I leave the long term, one-on-one to the professionals. Having said that, I had an opportunity to listen to her words and hear her heart. Sometimes that's all we need, just to be heard, it says my thoughts and feelings are worth your time. I was able to confirm that she knew Jesus Christ as her savior and share with her some of the blessings He has worked out in my life. It gave her hope and encouragement.
What a privilege! What a responsibility! People not only want to be heard, but also godly counsel, advice and direction. If I only heard her and then let her go, how have I really helped? It would be like having someone say to me, "I'm hungry, too and then I pray with them but don't give them any food.
I did indeed pray with her and was even allowed to embrace her. She did take a referral name for a counselor and information on a bible study. I didn't have all the answers she needed but I do know The One who does.
I did see her once again and was able to have some verses ready for her to "feed on", so to speak. As I'm writing this, I realize that tonight, these verses are for me. Join me in meditating on His words of love, and allow your thoughts to soar upward.
Are you available to come along side a stranger? Do you have time for those "divine appointments"?
Someone did for me more than once, and I praise God they did.
Jeremiah 29:11 -"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Job 13:15a"Though "He slay me, yet will I trust Him."
Deuteronomy 31:8"And the LORD, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed."
Psalm 121:4"Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. "
Dina

No comments: