Friday, October 06, 2006

They Saw Christ in Dave

"But My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land where he went, and his descendants shall inherit it." Numbers 14:24

On Wednesday, August 9th, one of my co-workers stepped from this world into glory. Dave Shoppy died very suddenly. It seems as if one moment his feet were firmly planted on earth and the next moment his feet were dancing in glory. It was a shock to us all.
The following Monday, at his memorial service, I was so encouraged yet challenged by the many well-wishers and their affirming words about Dave. See, Dave was a gentle-man in the truest sense of the word. Person after person recalled Dave's encouragement, his kindness, his humor, his love for His savior, his family and his ministry. Dave loved people. As I sat there, I realized every kind word about Dave was true. Sometimes, at funerals we hear the good stuff and sweep the bad under the carpet. At Dave's service, I realized, at least from my experience with Dave, there wasn't bad stuff to sweep under the rug. I do not remember Dave every being angry, frustrated, irritated, short-tempered, impatient, rushed, harsh, unkind, or divisive. Not one. Numbers 14:24 could have been said of Dave, 'But My servant, Dave, had a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully...'
I am not making Dave out to be perfect because he surely was a sinner; however, he allowed Jesus ready access to his life and practiced dying to himself.
I left Dave's service challenged because much of what was said about him could not be said at my memorial service. At my funeral, there will be plenty of people who could stand up and say (although I hope they don't): Diane got angry, frustrated, and irritated. She could be short-tempered, impatient, rushed, harsh and unkind. That is surely not the legacy I want to leave. I want people to have seen Christ in me, much the same as they saw Christ in Dave.
I cannot go back and change the past, but I can choose today to be different in the future so that my memorial service will exemplify Christ not me.

We will miss you Dave and the evidence of Jesus Christ in your life.

Diane

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You have received this email either because you either subscribed via www.americaskeswick.org, or you filled out a subscription card at America's KESWICK to receive the daily Victory Call email.

You are subscribed to this list as ssutter.victorycall@blogger.com. If you do not want to continue your subscription, reply to victorycall-unsubscribe@lists.americaskeswick.org

No comments: