Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bread Alone....

Bread Alone....

Matthew 4:4 "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God"

Here's what I'm thinking... I've begun to look at the word "bread" not just as earthly food, but on those spiritual things I do. See, in our Christian life we "do Church" we "do Christian Literature" we "do devotions" and we "do Christian Conferences and Seminars" just to name a few. Yet, here's the big question... How much do we "do the Word of God"? Let's look at the verse... it says EVERY word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

Now to me that is where I struggle - EVERY word. I have read the Bible through once in my life and that was a requirement for College so I bet I didn't read EVERY word. I am convicted - I know scripture yes, and I can teach scripture, but I believe I am failing myself and my God by not knowing and using ALL of scripture.

All of scripture teaches...
(Hebrews 4:12) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

All of scripture has the power to transform and lead me in victory...
(1 Thess. 2:13) For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
(1 John 2:14) I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

All scripture can help me through life and lasts forever...
(Hebrews 6:5) And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come.
(1 Peter 1:23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

All those things we "do" are great, but I challenge you to "do" the whole Word of God. I now have scripture on tape and listen to it on my way to work. I usually listen to each book 2 times before I move on to the next book. I am also trying to read though different books of the Bible. I have learned something that works for me... I listen to the Word in Order, but I read the books in any order. It really isn't the HOW that matters, it's "EVERY WORD' that matters.

LDJ

No comments: