Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Bird II

The Birds II

Another bird I've had the pleasure of observing, and that my husband has had an unfortunate interaction with, is some sort of long-tailed swallow that lives in my holly tree. Not only does it live there, it has claimed all rights to possess "my" tree to the complete exclusion of any person or any other bird or animal that makes the mistake of entering into its unmarked boundary in and around the tree. Different from the hummingbird, for the duration of its nesting season, I am fully aware of its presence. While I may not see or hear it, I can almost guarantee with accurate certainty when it will show up and how it will behave. All that has to happen is for some outside threat to get too near to its "area, occupied zone, etc."

"Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD; Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications." ~~Psalm 130:1-2

These birds are bold, possessive, aggressive, and fiercely protect what is theirs. In the past few weeks I have watched it or them (I think there may be 3 or 4) literally attack and chase a squirrel for a good five minutes because the squirrel had the nerve to enter the area of our holly tree. Just this morning, as I prepared to leave for work, I heard the birds making a huge fuss (once again) in my front yard. In addition to the commotion they were making was the hissing, fighting sound of a cat.

Sure enough, as I stepped outside, there in my driveway, under, over and around my daughter's car was this gang of birds, and crouched under the car was an ugly old cat trying to keep itself from being pecked to death. I could only surmise that it (the cat) had the unfortunate experience of going too near the tree, and was paying the price...

Knowing how stealthy and tricky cats are I'm sure he was caught completely off guard by the attack. He probably searched the land first and likely thought that climbing the tree, or shading himself under it, was a pretty cool and safe venture for him. NOT! Even when you don't see this bird it's there waiting and watching from some unknown place to protect his/her precious eggs or babies. Not even my husband is safe from these birds. Last summer, he too tangled with them because he dared to try to trim the tree...

If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared. I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in His word I do hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning- Yes, more than those who watch for the morning. O Israel, hope in the LORD; for with the LORD there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. ~~ Psalm 130:3-7 Stephanie Paul is Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries

No comments: