Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Early, Late or Right on Time

Early, Late or Right on Time

Last week I wrote some Victory Calls looking at the lighter side of being on time or being late. After reading over the last one on the morning of June 26th I felt there was something lacking. The question that came to my mind was, "What's the bottom line?"

The answer is quite simple. Being on time is always better that being late. There are no "ifs, ands or buts" about it. There is, however, a fly in this proverbial soup. Being on time ceases to be better the second you as the "on timer" or I as the "late arriver" begin to criticize or judge one another. The moment an attitude of, "I'm on time so I'm better than you" shows up, your "better" becomes an opportunity to glimpse an attitude of the heart that needs some serious spiritual insight and guidance. In the same way, the moment I poke fun at the "always-on-time" person or try to diminish them somehow, I am also in need of some spiritual medicine."The one who has a haughty look and a proud heart, him I will not endure." ~~Psalm 101:5b.

As gently as I can say it, I am saying, God can't stand arrogance. Be on time for the glory of God and forsake any way in which the flesh would glory in itself at the expense of others. Selah. Lest there be a shred of pride present in the person who thinks being less than on time is a-okay, let me ever so gently admonish you according to 1 Samuel 15:23a "For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft and stubbornness is as inquity and idoloatry."

How does this relate to being late? By being late I am consciously or subconsciously guilty of iniquity and idolatry. It's me, on the throne of my heart, saying that what I want, when I want it and how I want it, is more important than...well, being on time. So, where does that bring us today? It brings us ALL to the level ground at the foot of Calvary's cross. From this position of humility we bow and give thanks for the Spirit's work in our hearts and ask for His help. From there, we pursue change for the Glory of God.

So if you're on time, ask God to reveal the pride in your heart, and ask Him to show you the subtle or not so subtle ways you may sin by looking down at, judging or criticizing the perpetual late comer. If you're the late arriver, ask God to reveal the pride in your heart and perhaps the rebellion as well, showing you the ways being late may be a sin against others.And let's all of us, whether late or early, morning or evening, remember to remember to keep the main thing the main thing. -- Stephanie Paul serves as Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries for Women

No comments: