Monday, July 07, 2008

The Fruit of Patience

The Fruit of Patience

Last Fall I attended staff chapel and had the sweetest experience. It was Thanksgiving and we were encouraged to share what we had been thankful for. Some had given thanks for their children and that they walked with the Lord. This was tugging on my heart because I want to see my children walking closely with the Lord. I want to see that day come so badly! Then I heard a voice say what was on my heart.

My co-worker stood and expressed her gratitude for the kids that were walking with Jesus but shared her grief over her children and her hope that one day God will bring her kids back. I just cried because someone had the courage to voice what I was thinking and reminded me to continue to hope and be patient.

I have been studying the fruit of the Spirit, specifically, patience. There are two words used for patience. As we would think of Job the word used for his type of patience is "hupomone." It describes the patience Job had in his circumstances and is inspired by hope. Job had two hopes. He had hope that God was at work (Job 19:25-27) and Job trusted that what was happening in his circumstances would transform him (Job 23:10). The second word for patience is "makrothumia." This is patience with people and it is inspired by mercy as we read in Galatians 5:22, 23 about the fruit of the Spirit.*

I need both of these, don't you? I need patience in my circumstances- to have a hope. I need patience with people- to be merciful to those I would really like to shake! What or whom just came to your mind? My kids come to my mind. I have been told they are too old to put up for adoption, so what is a mother to do with her prodigals? Be patient. BUT, patience does not mean idle. Look at Luke 15 and the story of the prodigal son. In vs. 11 the Father is mentioned but then not again until vs. 20. What do you think he had been doing in the meantime?* I would guess he was learning patience (inspired by hope) in his circumstances. I would further guess he was learning patience (inspired by mercy) with his son! I know he would have been praying "Bring him home!" Maybe there is not a prodigal in your life. Perhaps you need patience (inspired by mercy or hope) with another family member, a neighbor, a co-worker, an ill parent or that lady at Bible study that just rubs at you. Maybe it is your job, finances, marriage or singleness. Being patient is hard work! Patience wants to do a work in us but you will have to wait until tomorrow to know what that work is!

*Paraphrased from Beth Moore "Living Beyond Yourself" Session 6

Kathy Withers is on staff full-time at the Keswick Book and Gift Shop. She is married to her husband, Dave and has two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is the Word of God and encouraging women to dig deeper into the truths of the Bible.

No comments: