Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Bird's I

The Birds I

Although I am not, by nature, a lover of all creatures great and small, I love to watch animals -the small ones- doing what they do (as long as they're doing it outiside, of course). Since moving to New Jersey in 1993, I've had plenty of exposure to squirrels, chipmunks and all sorts of birds.

From my window at work I've had the pleasure of seeing hummingbirds regularly throughout the summers, flitting from one bush or tree to another. Often I'm delighted by the sudden appearance of one right outside my office window, seemingly looking in and checking me out. Every time I see one looking in like that, I have the same thought. It's as if God is saying, "I see you. Do you see Me?"

In almost every instance I react as if I'm seeing it for the first time because they're so amazing to behold. This minimally-sized creation of God is there for a fleeting moment, and then off it goes to the next thing, quickly and quietly. I don't know where it comes from or where it's going, where its next perch will be or who it will peep in on. But I love that it does what it does as designed and ordained by God. I love that in the midst of regular life comes something which gives me pause to see and then say, "Yes, Lord, I see You, I love You, so much, and I will press on!"

Have you seen God today? Have you seen something in or out of the ordinary which caused you to pause, look up or out and see God seeing you, being aware of you, right where you are? He's there, you know. He, Creator God, is present, alive and active, in your life right now. Do you see HIM?No matter what your day is shaping up to be, please pause and consider Him, your Rock and Redeemer. See Him, seeing you! Rejoice in Him and be glad for the joy set before you.

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls." ~~Hebrews 12:1-2
Stephanie Paul is Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries for Women at America's KESWICK.

No comments: