Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Reality of Hell -- Part 2

The reality of hell, just how real is it? Part 2

Yesterday, I shared about my realization that though I know there is a real, literal place called hell, I don't believe it if my actions are any indication, and I believe they are. What we really believe is borne out in our actions rather than spoken from our mouths.

After my startling realization that Sunday morning, I shared this new revelation with my family. My son-in-law shared with me he is most passionate to share the gospel with people when he spends time meditating on hell. The more we talked about what hell was like (based on what we read in the Scriptures) the more I could feel my heart start to beat faster, especially when I imagine my unsaved loved ones suffering there, for eternity.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? WHAT IS WRONG WITH US?

How can I value my personal comfort more that the eternal destination of family and friends? Why am I not willing to speak the truth of the gospel to those that desperately need to hear? I'm afraid. I'm afraid of rejection, of feeling foolish, and of conflict. I allow my fear of man to weigh more heavily upon me than the reality of hell awaiting that person if they don't repent and believe.

I know hell is real, but I live as if I don't believe it. I have not allowed the truth of a literal hell to penetrate my heart to the extent that I am compelled to share with others in the hope of rescuing some.

Lord, change me. Develop in me, not just the knowledge of hell, but a belief that dramatically changes my heart for the lost and an eager pursuit to share the gospel that will translate them from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of light, forever. -- Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK

No comments: