Thursday, July 10, 2008

Me? A Complainer?

Me? A complainer?

Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world." Philippians 2:14-15

One sunny afternoon, my son, my husband and I were walking across campus during his college orientation. We were talking about complaining when my son said, "You are both complainers." His statement pierced me to the core. I could barely catch my breath. What was he saying? I don't see myself as a complainer. But before I could question him, or defend myself, the seemingly "lighthearted" conversation took off in another direction.

The statement my son made stayed with me all day and a few days to follow. How could he possibly see me as a complainer? What do I complain about? I thought hard about it. Then the light started to dawn. It began as I realized for one, I complain about our 2 dogs and the inconvenience and mess they make. Oh, yes. I complain about the dogs, quite a bit. I do not like their infringement on my life. BUT does that make me a complainer? Then I realized, YES it does. Since that afternoon, I have become even more aware of my tendency to complain by the numerous times I have had to bite my tongue!

If I am prone to complain about the dogs, chances are complaining is not relegated to just one area of my life. I was only deceiving myself. Leave it to my son to make me aware of that. If we complain in one area, we are probably complainers in other areas. If we gossip about one person, we are probably gossips about others. If we are dishonest with one, we are probably dishonest with others. If we are undisciplined in one area of our life, we are probably undisciplined in other areas of our life.

How are you kidding yourself today? What area of your life does God want to put His finger on to reveal the problem is much more prevalent than you realize? Is it your conversation? Is it your anger/frustration/irritation? Is it your harsh tongue? Is it your critical spirit? Is it your undisciplined eating? Is it your procrastination? Is it your haughty spirit?

Praise God that we are not trapped by any of these things, because every one of them has been dealt with at the cross. We are free to say "no" to ungodliness and "yes" to righteousness. We are able to change, by His power and grace for His glory. "... put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness." Ephesians 4:22-24

Diane Hunt is Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK

No comments: