Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Road Kill

Road Kill

One thing I do not enjoy about riding my bike is road kill. I have seen two flattened snakes, two small birds, one skunk and something that I think was a squirrel! These nasty corpses got me thinking. I really think I have killed off an attitude, a sin, or a habit but then it rears its ugly head once again. It really wasn't dead after all. It's just been hanging out to the side. Maybe it was injured and crept away but it wasn't dead.

Sometimes it's dead, all right, but I let it lay around and I keep looking at that disgusting thing lying there. I know that the "thing" is dead. For real dead, gone, paid for at the Cross of Calvary but I resurrect the "thing" and allow it to live in my mind and thoughts. Do you? Why? Why do we give life to what Christ says has died? Do we really believe our sin is forgiven, dead and gone?

In "The Gospel For Real Life," Jerry Bridges writes: "This is what God has done for us. He has blotted out our sins, removing them from His record. He has done more than wipe the slate clean. He has thrown away the slate!"

"For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:11, 12

"He will again have compassion on us, and will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea." Micah 7:19

How much "road kill" are you resurrecting? If it's not really dead then kill the thing. If it's dead then don't look, don't linger, for goodness sake don't get a stick and start poking at it! Jesus paid a great price; let Him come remove it! -- Kathy Withers is on staff full-time at the Keswick Book and Gift Shop. She is married to her husband, Dave and has two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church. Her passion is the Word of God and encouraging women to dig deeper into the truths of the Bible.

No comments: